INTERCULTURAL EDUCATION– The Answer to Diversity in the Classroom (6-day/ 7-day) Limassol
Significant ethnic, social and religious groups have been part of our society. In the context of increasing diversity in our society, schools have a role to play. Intercultural Education is the response to classroom diversity aiming to go beyond passive coexistence, to achieve a developing and sustainable way of living together in multicultural societies through the creation of understanding of, respect for and α productive dialogue between the different groups. Intercultural education is valuable to all pupils in equipping them with skills to participate in an increasingly diverse society. Through programmes that encourage dialogue between pupils of different cultures, beliefs, religions and individual characteristics education can make an important and meaningful contribution to societies.
This 6-day course gives participants theoretical background about intercultural education, as well as practical guidelines to integrate activities and implement programmes across the areas of curriculum and school life. Discussions, site visits and group work will enrich sharing ideas and exchange of practice between participants. There is also the possibility to extend the course to 7-day.
The cost for 6-day course is 480 euro and for 7-day course is 560 euro. It includes course fees, course material, entrance to museums and tours.
Objectives: During the course, participants will
- discuss issues about diversity, understanding differences, cultural diversity, multiculturalism, Multicultural & Intercultural Education
- study the aims, role, characteristics and models of Intercultural Education
- examine ways of managing diversity in classroom and creating inclusive culture in schools
- introduce the importance of cultural awareness and understanding cultures in building relationships and explore activities for cultural awareness
- discuss the integration of intercultural content across the areas of curriculum and identify opportunities
- get in touch with Cypriot communities and their coexistence; and the intercultural education in Cyprus
- examine the use of ICT tools for classroom communication, intercultural dialogue and finding resources
- plan intercultural activities and elaborate examples of good practice visit sites, museums, monuments etc. and plan activities/ programmes
After confirming registration, participants will be informed about the details of the course (arrival, daily programme etc.). Participants will be able to introduce themselves and bring a few examples of activities/ programmes about diversity implemented by their school or community.
- Dimensions of diversity
- Understanding differences
- Activities for cultural awareness and expression
- Minorities and migration
- Activities for team building
- How do we deal with classroom diversity?
- Multicultural & Intercultural education
- ICT tools for classroom communication
- Models for Intercultural education
- Activities that encourage communication
- International legal framework
- Intercultural activities in a multicultural classroom
- Globalization and Intercultural Education
- Inclusive education
- ICT tools for intercultural dialogue
- Intercultural education in Cyprus
- Visit to Limassol Old city center, Carob Mill Museum, Medieval Castle & Museum and other monuments.
- Doing activities in the city center.
- Data collection for the group work.
- Activities for primary & secondary education
- School planning
- Classroom planning
- Intercultural Education –Practical steps
- Finding resources
- Dealing with parents
- Thematic approach
- Activities that enhance the sense of belonging
- Celebrating diversity in school
- Doing art activities
- Group work
- Visit to Nicosia, the only divided capital in Europe.
- Exploring how two communities coexist
- Leventis Museum, Ledra Museum & Observatory, ‘Laiki Gitonia’
- Data collection for group work
- Facing racist incidents
- Facing bullying incidents
- Participants complete the group work, presentation of group work, review of the course, certificates.
DAY 7 (optional)
- Visit to Paphos Archaeological Park with Roman mosaics, Paphos Medieval Castle and port.
04.07.2020 - 09.07.2020 Confirmed
17.10.2020 - 22.10.2020
21.11.2020 - 26.11.2020
06.03.2021 - 11.03.2021
03.07.2021 - 08.07.2021
16.10.2021 - 21.10.2021
20.11.2021 - 25.11.2021