City is a living organism and a dynamic entity where cultures, traditions, languages and values coexist and interact. It has historical, social, political and environmental structures which affect the lives of citizens. Schools can help pupils develop ways of exploring and reading their city; understanding its structures and participating in its urban way of life. Pupils can feel the city and its pulse; read its atmosphere and create their own identity and the sense of belonging.
This 6-day course gives participants theoretical background how to explore the city and use it as a resource in teaching and learning, as well as practical guidelines to integrate activities and implement programmes across the areas of curriculum and school life. Discussions, site visits and group work will enrich sharing ideas and exchange of practice between participants. There is also the possibility to extend the course to 7-day.
The amount of 730 euro includes course fees, course materials, entrance to museums, tours and accommodation B&B (without accommodation the fees are 480 euro).
During the course, participants will:
– examine the city as a dynamic organism from historical, cultural and socio -political perspective
– learn how globalization and diversity are expressed in urban environments
– examine the creation of European identity and citizenship
– get in touch with theoretical approaches and develop ways of exploring cities
– learn how to help pupils to think critically, creatively and reflectively; and to be active citizens
– be informed with practical guidelines and policies in planning tours in the city
– practice ways of using technology (cameras, mobiles, tablets) to collect data from the city
– discuss the use of collected data in a variety of activities across the areas of curriculum in conjunction with the school policy, pupils’ age and abilities
– visit sites, museums and monuments in Cypriot cities and plan activities/ programmes.
After confirming registration, participants will be informed about the details of the course (arrival, daily programme). Participants will be able to introduce themselves and bring a few examples of using the city as a resource in their teaching.
WELCOME • Participants introduce themselves and mention programmes or other activities of using the city as a resource in teaching. Course programme overview (day by day).
THEORY • The concept of city; European cities; commuting zone; urban, urbanism & urbanisation; city as a living organism; city through centuries.
TOUR • Visit to Kourion archaeological site with ancient and Roman ruins discuss activites to explore an ancient city.
THEORY • How the cities appeared?; urban morphology; city ‘’cells’’; cities and globalization; urban planning and development; urban Ecology; sustainable development and urban identity;
TOUR TO NICOSIA • Visit to Leventis Museum to explore the development of Nicosia town through the centuries. Visit to Shakolas Tower Museum & Observatory to observe the city from 40m high , walk to traditional city center ‘Laiki Gitonia’. • Data collection for the group work.
THEORY • Using the city as a resource in teaching; curriculum areas; possible themes and resources; tools in teaching and learning; visiting local places.
TOURS IN THE CITY • Visit to Limassol Archaeological Museum, Municipal Garden, Municipal Gallery, Medieval Castle & Museum, Old Carob Mill. • Discovering aspects of Limassol’s identity. • Data collection for the group work.
CLOSURE OF THE COURSE • Presentation of group works, review of the project, conclusions, certificates.
15.07.2019 – 20.07.2019
05.10.2019 – 10.10.2019
29.02.2020 – 05.03.2020
20.06.2020 – 25.06.2020
10.10.2020 – 15.10.2020