EFFECTIVE CLASSROOM MANAGEMENT-Techniques, methodologies and disciplinary strategies (6-day/ 7-day course) Limassol
Keeping a classroom under control requires considerable skills in managing the multitude of tasks and situations that occur during the school day. Apart from the teacher’s preparation, certain procedures, methods and teaching techniques are required that promote a safe and efficient environment. Disciplinary methods and behavioural expectations are also important.
This 6-day course gives participants theoretical background about effective classroom management, as well as practical guidelines and activities across the areas of curriculum and school life. Discussions, site visits and group work will enrich sharing ideas and exchange of practice between participants. There is also the possibility to extend the course to 7-day.
During the course, participants will:
- be informed about the importance, role and benefits of effective classroom management
- examine skills and techniques that can be used to keep students organized, focused, attentive, on task, and academically productive during teaching
- understand and address students’ diversity during teaching
- learn ways to handle behavioural problems like indiscipline, racism and bullying
- discuss the integration of classroom management ideas and techniques across the areas of the curriculum in conjunction with the school policy, pupils’ age and abilities
- discuss good practices from participants’ schools
- examine examples of difficult classrooms with problematic situations and students with learning disabilities or particularities; and suggest ideas for improvement
- visit schools and discuss good practices with teachers
- visit sites, museums, monuments etc. and plan activities
WELCOME • Participants introduce themselves, practices and policies that are applied at participants’ schools and countries, course programme overview (day by day).
THEORY • Effective classroom management (definitions, objectives, role, benefits) • Techniques to focus students' attention and keep them organized.
RECORDED LESSONS: participants watch a video with recorded lessons and discuss them.
THEORY • Teaching procedures and routines; practices that improve teaching and learning; creating an effective classroom setup. • Controlling stress and time management • The curriculum and how to use it for effective teaching and learning
VISIT TO A SCHOOL &TOUR IN LIMASSOL • Visit to a school and discuss with administration and teachers • Visit the Limassol Archaeological Museum, Municipal Garden, Municipal Gallery, Medieval Castle & Museum, Old Carob Mill. Discuss the use of cultural places • Data collection for group work. GROUP WORK
THEORY • Dealing with students’ everyday conflicts and behavioural problems like indiscipline, racism and bullying • examine examples of difficult classrooms with problematic situations and students with learning disabilities and/or particularities; and suggest ideas for improvement. GROUP WORK
TOUR IN NICOSIA • Visit to the Leventis Museum, an interactive museum with the history of Nicosia town: gather ideas from museum’s educational programmes; Shakolas Tower Museum & Observatory to observe the city from 40m high; walk in traditional city center ‘Laiki Gitonia’ • Data collection for the group work.
CLOSURE OF THE COURSE • Presentation of group works, review of the project, conclusions, certificates.
DAY 7 (optional) TOUR IN PAPHOS • Visit to Paphos Archaeological Park with Roman mosaics, Paphos Medieval Castle and port.
29.07.2019 –03.08.2019 confirmed
9.11. 2019 - 14.11.2019
02.05.2020 - 07.05.2020
25.07.2020 - 30.07.2020
14.11.2020 - 19.11.2020
10.07.2021 - 15.07.2021
06.11.2021 - 11.11.2021