IN THE ROOTS OF WINE- Ancient Greek history, mythology & art (6-day/ 7-day course) LIMASSOL
The history of Cyprus is one of the oldest in the World. Cyprus has been a wine-growing and wine-producing country for millennia and wine has been a key factor in the Cypriot diet and culture. There is archaeological evidence that winemaking on the island may have existed 6000 years ago. Internationally it is best known for Commandaria wine, the wine of kings which it also called as the king of wines. Dionysus, the god of wine in Ancient Greek mythology, myths and traditions about wine, art and history will be revealed in this journey. Monasteries and their contribution to the wine history & production will be studied. Participants have also the chance to visit vineyards and get better acquainted with the island’s wineries.
This 6-day course is addressed to teachers, school staff and adults who have interest in ancient Greek history, mythology, and art. Discussions, site visits and group work will encourage sharing ideas and exchange of practice between participants. There is also the possibility to extend the course to 7-day.
During the course, participants will:
- be informed about the history of wine in Cyprus
- search for myths and legends in various historical places related with wine the god of wine Dionysus
- examine how the wine became important part in the Cypriot diet
- find common historical and cultural links with other civilizations
- explore archaeological sites, monuments and museums
- explore monasteries with long tradition in wine production, as and wineries
- experience the culture and traditions of the island
After confirming registration, participants will be informed about the details of the course (arrival, daily programme). Participants will be able to introduce themselves and bring a few examples of routines and practices that they apply to their teaching.
- The history of wine in Cyprus
- Ancient Greek history
- Visit to Limassol Old city center,
- Carob Mill Museum, Medieval Castle & Museum and other monuments.
- Doing activities in the city center.
- Data collection for the group work.
- The history of wine in Cyprus.
- Medieval history and Ottoman period– 1878
- Monasteries and their contribution to the wine history & production
- British period 1878–1980
- Visit to
- Kourion ancient city which was one of the island’s most important city-kingdoms in antiquity.
- Colossi castle and the production of Commandaria wine by knights its contribution to the history of wine.
- Wine museum
- Visit to the Omodos village
- Omodos Medieval monastery and its contribution in the wine producution
- Linos (old winery)
- Local wineries
- The history of wine in Cyprus
- 1980 onwards
- Group work
DAY 7 (optional)
TOUR TO PAPHOS
- Visit to Paphos Archaeological Park with Roman mosaics, Paphos Medieval Castle and port.
480 euro (6-day) & 560 euro (7-day)
- 21.01.2023 - 26.01.2023
- 25.03.2023 - 30.03.2023
- 10.06.2023 - 15.06.2023
- 19.08.2023 - 24.08.2023
- 28.10.2023 - 02.11.2023
- 09.12.2023 - 14.12.2023
- 20.01.2024 - 25.01.2024
- 23.03.2024 - 28.03.2024
- 08.06.2024 - 13.06.2024
- 17.08.2024 - 22.08.2024
- 02.11.2024 - 07.11.2024
- 14.12.2024 - 19.12.2024