IN THE FOOTSTEPS OF APHRODITE - Ancient Greek history, mythology & art (6-day/ 7-day course) LIMASSOL
Aphrodite, the goddess of love, beauty and fertility, was worshiped all over the island of Cyprus. “Cyprian” as otherwise she was called, was born from sea foam at the Cypriot coast Petra tou Romiou. Her name was linked to various myths and legends. Following the footsteps of Aphrodite, participants will have the opportunity to visit monuments and museums across the island related with her worship and in the context of ancient Greek history, mythology and art.
This 6-day course is addressed to teachers, school staff, graduated students and adults who want to enrich their theoretical background, as well as to obtain practical guidelines to integrate activities and implement programmes in museums and archaeological places. Discussions, site visits and group work will enrich sharing ideas and exchange of practice between participants. There is also the possibility to extend the course to 7-day.
During the course, participants will:
- be informed about the ancient goddess Aphrodite (history, mythology, art, depictions)
- be informed about the myths of "Cyprian" Aphrodite
- examine the relation with the goddess Venus that was worshiped in Roman times giving a European dimension
- explore archaeological sites, monuments, museums, mosaics, statues etc. related to the goddess Aphrodite
- get in touch with educational programmes in museums and archaeological sites that are implemented by Ministry of Education and Culture in Cyprus
- discuss examples of activities/ programmes in museums, archaeological sites etc. from participants’ countries
- discuss practical guidelines to explore monuments, museums and artworks
- implement activities/ programmes across the areas of curriculum in conjunction with the school policy pupils’ age and abilities
WELCOME • Participants introduce themselves; course programme overview (day by day).
THEORY • Introduction to the course • The ancient goddess Aphrodite (ancient Greek history, mythology, Olympian Pantheon, symbols, art, depictions)
THEORY • "Cyprian" Aphrodite (birth, names, family, symbols, myths)
• Relation with the goddess Venus that was worshiped in Roman times (history, depictions, artworks) VISIT • Tour to Amathounta archaeological site with the Roman Temple of Aphrodite
TOUR • Tour to Petra tou Romiou coast, the birth place of Aphrodite and Palaepaphos (Kouklia) to see Sanctuary of Aphrodite and Local Archaeological Museum of Palepaphos • Data collection for group work
THEORY • Myths of “Cyprian” Aphrodite • Discuss examples of activities/ programmes in museums, archaeological sites etc. from participants’ countries • Educational programmes about goddess Aphrodite in museums and monuments that are implemented in Cyprus by the Ministry of Education and Culture (Limassol and Paphos)
VISIT • Tour to old town center • Collect data for group work
DAY 5 TOUR • Visit to Ploumisto Psomi (Bread Museum) and to the Archaeological Museum of Limassol • Data collection for the group work.
CLOSURE OF THE COURSE • Presentation of group work, review of the project, conclusions, certificates.
DAY 7 (optional)
TOUR TO PAPHOS • Visit to Paphos Archaeological Park with Roman mosaics, Paphos Medieval Castle and port.
The course fees are 480 euro (6-day) & 560 euro (7-day).
- 23.01.2021- 28.01.2021
- 29.05.2021 - 03.06.2021
- 21.08.2021 - 26.08.2021 Confirmed
- 04.12.2021 - 09.12.2021
- 22.01.2022 - 27.01.2022
- 26.03.2022 - 31.03.2022
- 28.05.2022 - 02.06.2022
- 20.08.2022 - 25.08.2022
- 29.10.2022 - 03.11.2022
- 03.12.2022 - 08.12.2022