INTEGRATING MINORITY, MIGRANT AND REFUGEE PUPILS IN SCHOOLS (6-day/ 7-day course) Limassol
Minorities, migrants and refugees have been increased significantly in the recent years bringing changes in the structure of societies. Their efforts to search for better economic and social opportunities, often force them to cross borders and settle in new areas. The inclusion of minorities, migrants and refugees increases diversity in schools and societies. In this context, societies are responsible to formulate rules and policies. Schools have an important role to play for the integration of minorities, migrants and refugees. Through understanding of, respect for and α productive dialogue between the different groups, schools aim to go beyond passive coexistence, to achieve a developing and sustainable way of living together in multicultural societies.
This 6-day course gives participants theoretical background about the integration of minorities, migrants and refugees in schools, as well as practical guidelines to integrate activities and implement programmes across the areas of the curriculum and school life. Discussions, site visits and group works will enrich sharing ideas and exchange of practice between participants. There is also the possibility to extend the course to 7-day.
During the course, participants will:
• acquire knowledge about diversity, culture, cultural diversity, monoculturalism, multiculturalism, cultural awareness
• introduce the importance of understanding cultures in building relationships
• examine ways of managing diversity in classroom and creating inclusive culture in schools
• examine in depth knowledge of best practices & policies at school for integrating minority, migrant & refugee children
• understand the need for organisational adaptations at school environment
• discuss the integration of inclusive content across the areas of curriculum and identify opportunities
• understand the importance of national language for migrants & refugees
• examine the best practices related to supplementary schooling in immigrant communities
• learn about the Cypriot communities and their coexistence;
• visit sites, museums, monuments etc. and plan activities/ programmes.
WELCOME • Participants introduce themselves, practices and policies that are applied at participants’ schools and countries, course programme overview (day by day).
THEORY • What is diversity? What is cultural diversity? What is cultural awareness? Majority and minority cultures, the importance of understanding cultures in building relationships, from monoculturalism to multiculturalism and interculturality.
RECORDED LESSONS participants watch videos with recorded lessons and discuss them.
THEORY • Ways of managing diversity in classroom, models of integrating minority, migrant and refugee pupils in schools, good practices and policies, ideas for creating an inclusive culture at schools.
VISIT TO A SCHOOL &TOUR IN LIMASSOL • Visit to a school and discuss with administration and teachers • Visit to Limassol Archaeological Museum, Municipal Garden, Municipal Gallery, Medieval Castle & Museum, Old Carob Mill. Discuss the use of cultural places • Data collection for group work.
THEORY • The need for organisational adaptations at school environment, school planning, classroom planning, choosing classroom resources, the integration of inclusive content across the areas of the curriculum, understand the importance of national language for migrants & refugees, the best practices related to supplementary schooling in immigrant communities. GROUP WORK
TOUR IN NICOSIA • Visit at Leventis Museum, an interactive museum with the history of Nicosia town, ideas from museum’s educational programmes; Shakolas Tower Museum & Observatory to observe the city from 40m high; walk in traditional city center ‘Laiki Gitonia’ • Data collection for the group work.
CLOSURE OF THE COURSE • Participants complete the group work, presentation of group work, review of the project, conclusion, certificates.
DAY 7 (optional) TOUR IN PAPHOS • Visit to Paphos Archaeological Park with Roman mosaics, Paphos Medieval Castle and port.
23.11.2019 - 28.11.2019 confirmed
09.05.2020 - 14.05.2020
27.06.2020 - 02.07.2020
28.11.2020 - 03.12.2020
08.05.2021 - 13.05.2021
03.07.2021 - 08.07.2021
27.11.2021 - 02.12.2021